Southern Girl Creations

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Tote Makeover....

I bought this plain black tote at Walmart several weeks back for $10 knowing that it needed something added to it.


I found a great piece of grey felt in the remnant bin at Hobby Lobby this weekend.  I have all sorts of ideas of what to do with it.  First, I decided that the bag above needed a big grey felt flower on it.

I started by cutting out a flower pattern.  I found one Here.  I did modify it a bit though.  I enlarged it by 125% twice on my printer and since I was using felt I did not have to use the wonder under and the additional piece of fabric.  


The instructions from the link above show you to fold the flower in half then stitch diagonally down from the second petal to make the center cone shape once you turn the outside peals inside out.


I then cut 2 inch pieces of wire edged sheer ribbon to make the flower centers.  I just bunched it together at the bottom and used fabric glue to secure it in the center of the flower.




I made 3 of these flowers and enlarged my pattern one more time and cut it out of felt to make one big flower base to attach these three smaller flowers to.  I did not sew the base flower because it wanted it flat against the purse.  I decided that it needed one more layer to define it.   So, I cut 5 6inch pieces of the sheer wire edged ribbon folded it in half and sewed it to the larger flat flower


I tacked the three other flowers to the center of this large one.


I tacked the large flower on the purse and I also added a felt ruffle to the strap.





Sorry for the not so good pictures... 

ps.... some of you really observant people will notice that where the strap is attached was originally brown... well.... that didn't really go with my black and grey color scheme...  So, a Sharpie marker took care of that brown and made it black... yay!

Linking to

13 comments:

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

I love the flowers! They added so much pizazz to your purse. Thanks for the tute!

Trisha said...

That turned out so cute! What a great idea!

~Trisha

Unknown said...

I LOVE HANDBAGS, SO i totally love your bag re-do, well done! JEN

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

Cute, I love that flower!

Debbie said...

Hey girl - GREAT job! You are SO talented!!!!
YBM

Amy Kinser said...

My little one would say that you glammed it up. Great job. Partying with you tonight. Stop by for a visit.

Quiltstory said...

Sooo cute! I didn't think it was "bad" to begin with but after your additions it looks so much better! We'd love if you came and linked your project up to our fabric linky party today!

Melissa said...

That turned out lovely! I would love to carry around all of the toys and diapers that I mom needs. Thanks for stopping over to Tuesday Tell All!

Quiltstory said...

Thanks for linking up, we'll see you next week!

Mad in Crafts said...

That is adorable! Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

PEACHES said...

LOVE THIS!

AUDRA said...

This came out great!

Maggie Lamarre said...

oh my I just love love this..
Maggie
http://cuttingabove.blogspot.com

Post a Comment